Polenta (aka cornmeal) means “borrowed” in Italian. Traditionally known, as “peasant food” polenta has become a staple in our house. Super easy to prepare, extremely versatile and downright tasty. Once you have the base recipe down, the possibilities are endless. The perks…this polenta takes minutes to prepare and makes for a great meal when unexpected company arrives.
Value: Less than $2.65 per batch or 53 cents per person (toppings are additional)
Radical Homemaker Quick Tip
Did you know that 86% of the corn grown in the US is GMO (genetically modified organism)? This great infographic is a very quick synopsis of the GMO epidemic. Ignorance isn’t bliss…its just ignorance. Arm yourself.
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium pot over high heat.
2. Shut heat and move pot off of hot burner. Gently whisk in polenta, add salt and cover with tight fitting lid.
3. Let polenta sit for 2 minutes then add butter. Cover and let rest an additional 5 minutes.
4. Gently mix to incorporate butter. Add cheese (if desired) and mix.
5. Serve plain as a side or top with sautéed veggies, tomato sauce and/or pesto for a main dish.
Serves 4 with leftovers.
Polenta Topping Ideas
Simply sauté organic onions and garlic in a bit of organic butter; add any of the items below and presto:
Organic greens…spinach, collards, kale, mustard or beet greens, tat soi, arugula, etc. – use what’s in season
Cayuga Pure Organics Black Beans, organic cilantro, tomatoes and red onions (when in season)
Homemade tomato sauce or Food for Thought Wild Leek Marinara
The possibilities are endless…