This is one of our favorite dishes made with quinoa. Full of that Italian salad flavor, best served cold, and a must whatever time of year.
Radical Homemaker Quick Tip
Pronounced keen-whah, this super food is native to the Andes and is known as the “mother grain” by the Inca. This naturally gluten free grain packs a whopping 16% protein; higher than any other grain. It’s a complete protein, contains more calcium than milk and is high in lysine and nutrients like iron, vitamin E, phosphorus and B vitamins. It’s easy to digest and has a mild flavor making it a great food for kids.
1 bag TruRoots Sprouted Quinoa
3½ cups water or broth
1 cup Bionaturae Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ – ½ cup Bionaturae Balsamic Vinegar
2-4 cloves organic garlic
1 tablespoon fresh basil (in season), chopped
½ teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon Simply Organic Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Italian Seasoning
Eden French Celtic Sea Salt to taste
4-6 Mediterranean Organic Roasted Red & Yellow Peppers, chopped
6-8 Mediterranean Organic Sundried Tomatoes, chopped fine
¼ – ½ cup Mediterranean Organic Kalamata Olives, cut in half or chopped
¼ cup farm fresh cheese, cubed (optional)
1. Combine quinoa and water in a medium-large pot; bring to a boil over high heat. Once to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Once quinoa is cooked gently fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
2. Place oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning in a blender or food processor; mix well to combine. Taste, add salt and set to the side.
3. Place cooled quinoa, prepared dressing, peppers, sundried tomatoes, olives and cheese in a large mixing bowl; gently mix to combine.
4. Place in the fridge to chill for an hour or two or chill overnight and serve the next day (it allows the flavors to really set in).
5. Serve with a salad. Makes for a great lunch or dinner.