What better way to celebrate the day of love than with deep red beets. With an abundance of shredded beets in the freezer, Jen gently reminded me that we needed to start using everything we froze. I must admit I become a hoarder when it comes to our frozen veggies. There’s just something comforting about a freezer full of frozen goodness. Nonetheless, we do this so we have an array of veggies to consume during the deep of winter when very little is growing. Our goal for 2012 is to freeze and can much more than ever before. We currently have lots of frozen strawberries, peaches and blackberries too and yes I’m hoarding those as well. Don’t even get me started on how I ration our garlic scape butter…lol.
These beet burgers were interesting. Tasty, very filling and delightful with homemade garlic aioli…yum! You can also eat the mixture raw with crackers – think beet pâté.
Radical Homemaker Quick Tip
Invest in a food processor. Honestly, it has made food preparation much easier and it happens to be my one kitchen appliance I use on a regular basis. From Radically Real Hummus to these Beet Burgers, you won’t regret your purchase. We invested in a Cuisinart Elite Food Processor a few years ago and while the upfront cost was a lot, it has paid for itself by making my life easier. If you can’t afford the big mama, I would recommend saving for it. Smaller ones are fine but if you’re feeding a family of four the larger one is easier to work with. Shop around for the best price as they range from $235-$300.
2 cups Mary’s Gone Crackers Onion
1 medium-large organic onion
4 cloves organic garlic
1 medium-large piece of organic horseradish, peeled (optional)
2 cups organic beets, shredded
2 cups Cayuga Pure Organics Black Beans, cooked
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats -Gluten Free-
¼ cup Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
2 tablespoons organic butter, melted
2 teaspoons Simply Organic Garlic Powder
2 teaspoons Simply Organic Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Paprika
1 teaspoon Eden French Celtic Sea Salt
½ teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. Place crackers in food processor and process until fine and crumb like (think breadcrumbs). Empty into a small bowl.
3. Place onion, garlic and horseradish in food processor and process until pieces are small.
4. Add beets and black beans; process until well combined and broken down.
5. Add oats, nutritional yeast and butter; process until well combined. Add cracker crumbs, process again.
6. Add garlic and onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper; process until well combined.
7. Using your hands carefully scoop mixture to form burger patties. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes to heat through.
8. Serve on a bun with garlic aioli, fresh organic greens, etc…
Makes 6 burgers