In honor of today’s world-wide March Against Monsanto, here is a statement from your duo at The Natural Contents’ Kitchen on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) which are banned in our home and in our business. As consumers, we do have a choice. We encourage you to become aware and to make that choice for yourself…
We so declare…NO GMOs! Most people do not realize they are eating genetically modified foods at almost every meal. GMOs are now present in more than 80% of packaged products in the US, leaving only 20% of the shelves to go. Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO/GM/GE) are created by inserting a bacteria, virus or gene from one species into a different species to produce a specific effect like resistance to herbicides or enabling a plant to act as an insecticide. Under U.S. law, they are patentable inventions giving corporate control over everything from the farmer’s use to scientific study. Actually, there is little independent research that exists on GMOs. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty that GMOs are safe. Over 60 other countries have restrictions or outright bans. In the US, they are considered “substantially equivalent” to their non-GMO counterparts. US Companies export GMO FREE food to other countries, while the American versions are filled with GMOs.
With the continual rise in cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, autism, neurological disorders, allergies, (the list goes on and on) and being continually challenged physically, mentally and emotionally…we need to ask why? What else has been on the rise over these last few decades? The use of chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, artificial color, fillers, preservatives, additives, synthetic hormones, antibiotics…Oh, and don’t forget, before 1996 food did not contain GMOs.
So, YES! Eat Organic. That is, if organic means no toxic pesticides, herbicides or insecticides, no petroleum based fertilizers, no synthetic growth hormones, no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, fillers or additives, no cloning, no irradiation and NO GMOs. Lots of truly questionable ingredients and practices. Questionable Contents versus Natural Contents…we decide!
So, Yes! Value Organic, Honor Organic, Practice Organic. Stand behind all measures to protect Organic. Cross contamination by GE crops is the number one threat. There is no recall button on this out of control experiment.
The Solution, you ask? Consumer demand! Avoid GMOs at all cost. Eat organic to limit chemical intake in hopes to combat growing societal health concerns. Avoid processed foods, filled with additives derived from government subsidized GMO soy and corn. Eat meat, dairy and eggs from animals fed non-GMO feed. Think of it as preventative medicine. Demand the right to know. Exercise your power as a consumer. Find a farm connection for organic produce, dairy and meat. Keep those channels open, fair and free by purchasing and financing organic efforts. Rebuild from the soil up.
Food is a people issue crossing age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, economic class and political party. Band together. Spread the word. Tip the scale. Join the Land Army. And remember…Change Happens, One Consumer at a Time.
Looking for a good documentary, watch the World According to Monsanto.