When I came across Living Clean Now, a blog dedicated to living toxin free, I was instantly enthralled. Rebecca, known by her friends as the “clean guru”, writes about natural beauty, healthy living and harmful chemicals – something we all need to know more about.
So, I asked Rebecca to share with you (our lovely readers) her 5 simple detox methods. Plus, as a special treat, she’s crafted a detox face mask – perfect for all skin types.
Guest Post by Living Clean Now
Doing a full body detox every 6-12 months can be amazing for your skin, body and overall health. However, you don’t need to wait for a full cleanse to help remove toxins from your body.
5 simple detox methods that fit into your daily routine.
- Dry Brushing. Promotes blood flow to your heart which in turn helps stimulate your lymphatic system. Your lymphatic system rids your body of toxins. Dry brushing will also remove dead skin cells, help prevent cellulite and give your skin that beautiful glow.
- Drink Plenty of Water. It’s no secret that we need to drink water regularly throughout the day. Water works with the lymphatic system to help flush out toxins too.
- Only Use Natural Products. Why waste time ridding your body of toxins if you are reapplying them every day to your skin. There are so many options these days for natural beauty and skincare products – so give your skin and body its best chance by keeping the nasty toxins away.
- Salt Baths. Grab yourself some Epsom salts and soak in the bath. It takes 20 minutes for the detoxing process to work and then an extra 20 minutes to absorb all the minerals into the body. Remember, your body can’t perform its natural detoxing process under stress. So, by taking the time-out you’re helping your body relax and perform at its best.
- Face Masks. Can draw out impurities, calm, hydrate and refresh skin. There are countless variations on the market, just make sure you’re choosing one most suited to your skin type made with natural ingredients. Alternatively, you can have a go at making your own!
This lavender and cream detox face mask is perfect for all skin types. The bentonite clay draws out toxins, prevents blocked pores, heals and regenerates skin tissue. The Aloe Vera gel is anti-inflammatory and soothing and coconut milk helps prevent aging.
Rebecca is the founder of Living Clean Now, a resource for living without harmful chemicals and toxins. Suffering from sensitive and irritated skin, Rebecca found it was mainly due to the chemicals in her everyday products. After finding improvement in multiple areas of her life from using cleaner, natural products, Rebecca wanted to share her knowledge and experiences. Living Clean Now was created to provide a place for anyone else starting their low tox journey to come and receive all they need in an easy to understand, manageable way.
Lavender and Cream Face Mask
Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Soy & Dairy Free
6 tablespoons coconut milk
3 tablespoons aloe leaf liquid or aloe vera gel
½ teaspoon coconut oil, melted
5 drops lavender essential oil
- In a small bowl, add white kaolin or bentonite clay.
- In another small bowl, add milk, aloe, coconut oil and lavender oil; mix well.
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the kaolin or clay until a paste is formed.
- Apply to face and neck (avoiding the eyes). Allow 15 minutes to dry.
- Gently rinse with lukewarm water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer.
Natural Contents Note: Made this recipe a few days ago for our family of 4. I added an additional 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and a little water to get the consistency right. There was enough for 4 masks (maybe 3 masks if you do your neck – we did not). Regardless, this recipe is forgiving, you really can’t mess it up 🙂 Should you not need 3-4 masks, half the recipe or apply it to dry hands. Also, your face will be a bit red when you take it off – not to worry, this is normal. We all agreed, our faces felt lovely afterwards.
Quick Tips: When purchasing aloe vera gel, look for the one with the least ingredients. Many contain fragrance, Triethanolamine (a common ingredient in skincare products which can cause allergic reactions), Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate (a preservative agent known to cause allergic reactions when applied to the skin), and various other toxic ingredients.
Not sure which clay to use? White kaolin is gentle and best for sensitive skin. It softens and lends a mild exfoliation. Bentonite clay is great for oily skin and skin ailments like psoriasis and eczema. Bentonite also tightens skin and reduces swelling.